St. Paul History
Our current building
Original Church location, old Whitter School - 1928
Ninety four original members
Saint Paul is an ELCA congregation, Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, Chicago Metropolitan Synod.
Born into a time of worldwide turmoil in 1925, St. Paul’s English Evangelical Lutheran Church began struggling for survival. Today we remember and cherish the legacy of the early saints; their tenacity, their willingness to sacrifice and their tireless devotion to preserving the authenticity and timelessness of Holy Scripture.
Our history bears scars of dissension, wounding and myriad occasions of shared grief. These, along with the elation of countless spiritual ‘highs’, have worked to shape a congregation that is healing and nurturing, trusting and flexible, an anchor in a fractured world and sanctuary for the disenfranchised.
All of this, plus the freedom to pursue endeavors outside long-established confines, abides within a historic religious tradition that we have chosen to adopt as an enabling influence rather than a restrictive one.
It is only through the constancy of a good and gracious God that we, who claim the Son’s name in this place, have endured and prospered.
THANKS BE TO GOD!!